Finder icon size question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by davidinva, Oct 3, 2011.

1. davidinva macrumors 6502a

Is there any way (or app) to enlarge the icons (past the default largest size) in the icon view of items (especially photos) in the finder? I have some photo apps that do not have browsers attached to them and it is difficult to see a photo when opening from the finder. Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

You could use QuickLook or this slider:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

QuickLook is the way to preview files without opening the associated application by just selecting the file(s) in Finder and pressing the SPACEBAR.
    Make the Most of Quick Look

3. davidinva thread starter macrumors 6502a

Quicklook doesn't seem to work when I have a photo app open and look at photos in the finder. What is the "finder_viewIcon_slider" a part of? I am running 10.6.8.

4. simsaladimbamba

You mean you can't use QuickLook when you have a photo application (which one exactly) open?
    Have you switched to Finder?
    QuickLook even works in Photoshop for me in Open File dialogs.

finder_viewIcon_slider is the example folder I created, to show you, that you can change the icon size in Icon View (CMD+1) when using the slider, that has been marked with a red rectangle in both screenshots (seen on the bottom right - I'll add an arrow too).

5. davidinva thread starter macrumors 6502a

Used the spacebar with two photo apps and Photoshop Elements and Quicklook works. Been a Mac user for over 20 years and that's something I've never used. Using Spotlight to look for Quicklook produces no results. Thanks a lot. How did you create the slider folder?

6. simsaladimbamba

I opened a Finder window, selected the folder with my desktop background images, duplicated it via CMD+D, renamed it and changed the view to Icon View via CMD+1.
    Then I shot the screen via CMD+SHIFT+4 > Spacebar > click on Finder window and opened the resulting .png (on the Desktop) in Preview and used the Annotation Tools (CMD+SHIFT+A) to create the rectangle, arrow and text.

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Well, I think it was new with Leopard. That came out in '07.

There's also a slide in Show View Options to control icon size.

8. davidinva thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks folks. That's why I like this forum. Learn something each time I log on.