Finder "icon view" blank + blank Firefox

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by macker123, Jul 20, 2011.

1. macker123 macrumors newbie

Anybody have any insights? Kind of hard to do anything after upgrading to Lion.

I had a HELL of a time getting it to do a fresh install, but eventually made it work even though MacBook Pro kept restarting multiple times in a row. Took a good 6 hrs of hell and troubleshooting problem after problem in doing a fresh install.

Eventually got to login screen, it's blank. After many reboots, etc figured I could enter password even though blank.

Now I am in and finder in "icon view" is blank even though it works in "list view" and fire up Firefox and all I get is blank screens, no address bar even. Safari has this issue on some pages most notably Apple, yet Chrome works flawlessly.

Any ideas? I did a fresh install on a newer MacBook Pro. All legit copy etc.

Thanks for any help.

2. bibendum73au macrumors newbie

I have found the same issue, icons and firefox (re install does not change anything0.
    If you can right click on the page and change the view to list rather than icon, it works but I cannot even install new software because of this as the install icon is not showing.

Also cannot figure out how to drag a file from the downloads page into the applications page. It won't complete the drop anymore. Never used to be a problem, it just hangs onto the mouse icon as i frantically click and mash the keyboard.

3. macker123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup I got the same thing with the dragging and dropping. I mashed on the kb some and then by accident clicked my middle mouse scroll wheel and it dropped it into my dock. Ever since then I can drag and drop ANYWHERE on the mac. So odd.

I also seem to have icons missing from some of the "app store" listings so my guess is something maybe got fubar'ed during the install or an update.

You try to re-install yet? Not a clean one, but even just update the OS files. I think I am going to try that next.

4. bibendum73au macrumors newbie

Damn, how do you middle click with the magic pad thingy.

5. macker123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, no idea.

6. bibendum73au macrumors newbie

Also the Time Machine interface is blank so I cannot even wind back to before the update.

Stoopid.

7. macker123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup, I just did a re-install and got same issues. So that never helped.

8. macker123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Looks like Skype also will not work, even after re-installing.

I am wondering if it has something to do with hardware config affecting it?

I have a:
    - early 2009 17" MacBook Pro
    - 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    - 8 gb ram
    - dual 80gb SSD in a Raid Striped through the software raid option in disk utility
    - I did a fresh install from a usb drive after formatting hd

What do you have?

9. greatoe macrumors newbie

DisplayLink driver installed?

Same issue here.

At first I find out blank Finder icon view and blank Firefox, later I found that most of the apps have this issue, including Photoshop and even Preview.

I am using a mid '09 MacBook Pro, and I have an external display attached via a USB cable, supported by a DisplayLink driver.

I pull out the USB external monitor, uninstall the DisplayLink driver, and everything go fine now.

10. macker123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup I can confirm the same thing. It is the DisplayLink driver. I did a clean install this time and no drive installed and it worked. I installed the driver, rebooted and everything is fubar'ed.

I even downloaded their newest driver yesterday.

If any of you guys find a driver that works, please post. I use 2 of these usb devices for my monitors both at work and home. They are critical to my business :(

11. macker123 thread starter macrumors newbie

If you guys are running a MacBook Pro goto "energy saver" and choose "higher performance" instead of "better battery life". That fixed the issue for me. HOWEVER, I am sure battery life will suffer a lot from this so not a long term fix.