Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

expergo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2004
sorry if this has been posted before. icouldn't find it.

i want to change the directory of some folders..liek docments...movies..etc...that are on the finder left menu but want ot leave the icon pics intact.

i tried creating a folder...and then copying the icon of the documetns folder on it, but when i move it to the finder menu, it doesn't show the same icon as the current documents folder.

does anyone know how ot od this?

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
Hey,

It was actually just posted today, here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/101992/

I just tried the directions to change a Firefox icon, and it worked fine. Here's a quick recap:

1. Do "Get Info" for the thing whose icon you want to change
2. Do "Get Info" for the thing whose icon you want to put there for that thing
3. In the "Get Info" for the icon you like (and want), click on the "General" arrow tab. Then click on the icon. It should get outlined in blue. Do "Edit --> Copy"
4. In the "Get Info" thing for the icon thing you want replaced, click on the "General" arrow tab. Then click on the icon. Then do "Edit --> Paste"

Basically, it's a copy and paste. :)

expergo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2004
Hey,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I figured out how ot do that. What I want to do is be able to retain *this* icon (the application one in the pic) when I paste it in another folder. Like I did waht you said with my "Programs" folder...but I want that folder to look like the "Application" one in the menubar. I dont know if that's possible./

http://s93780880.onlinehome.us/desktop.pdf

thanks~

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
expergo said:
Hey,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I figured out how ot do that. What I want to do is be able to retain *this* icon (the application one in the pic) when I paste it in another folder. Like I did waht you said with my "Programs" folder...but I want that folder to look like the "Application" one in the menubar. I dont know if that's possible./

http://s93780880.onlinehome.us/desktop.pdf

thanks~

Oh, so you just want the "A" of applications, and not the "A" emblazoned on a blue folder? Hmm. Yeah, when I do "Get Info" on applications, you get the "A" on a blue folder. I don't know if there's a way to get just the A (other than, say, taking a screenshot, getting the "A," etc. etc. something something) ... it seems like it could be possible though. Sorry, I don't know. :/

expergo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2004
Yes!

How did you do that?

Can you do that with all the other ones?

And how do I make it so the folder, looks like the application folder, but the menu in finder, looks like that icon that you have.

Tthanks

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
expergo said:
Yes!

How did you do that?

Can you do that with all the other ones?

And how do I make it so the folder, looks like the application folder, but the menu in finder, looks like that icon that you have.

Tthanks

actually i got the icon from a set of Restoration Icons i grabed awhile back, seems its not up on the site i got it from, im me or email me and i can send the set to you

i take it you are talking about the folder icon that appears at the top of the open finder window? to change that you should only have to change the Applications Folder icon to the one i attached

expergo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2004
Thanks.. i emailed you.

Basically, I just want the exact same thing as how the Application" folder works...but just moved to a different place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.