Finder Internal Network Connectivity with SMB Shares

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pcguru83, Mar 26, 2010.

1. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

I've been having some very odd internal network connectivity issues the last few weeks. First, here's what I'm working with:

-1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo Mac Mini running Snow Leopard 10.6.2
    -File server running Windows Server 2008 64bit
    -Two SMB shares I access from the file server for archive storage and backup purposes from the Mini
    -All networked together into a Linksys WRT54G running DD-WRT v24-sp1

So here's the deal. I can start up the Mini from a fresh boot and access my SMB file shares with no problems at all. The file server is pingable, and I can RDP into it with Remote Desktop.

But put the computer to sleep? One third of it breaks--the SMB shares become inaccessible until after a reboot, BUT I can still ping the file server AND I can still RDP into it without any issues. It's for this reason I think it's a Finder-specific issues. It seems to "forget" my SMB shares after putting the computer to sleep, then can't "find" them again.

FWIW, I thought it might be a name resolution issues, so I tried all this using the straight-up IP address but nothing changed. The SMB shares aren't accessible, but I can still ping and RDP into the file server without issue.

Any suggestions? It's getting very frustrating rebooting my Mac virtually every time I need to access my file archive. It's also makes a consistent backup plan difficult, if not impossible.

Oh, and one more data point. I've got a work laptop running Windows 7 Ultimate. When the Mac has issues accessing the SMB shares, I can access the file shares just fine (both by hostname and IP address) on the Windows 7 machine.

I'm quite at a loss here. I'm contemplating a fresh install here, but not really confident it would make a difference.

2. pcguru83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

Anyone? I noticed there were some SMB fixes in the 10.6.3 update, I wonder if this may just magically disappear now. :)