Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m0nkeyb0y

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
I'm using the latest update (10.6.4) on a new 2.8 quad iMac. Tons of HD space left. I have started getting the 10810 error. I've posted this at Apple support, but no support yet. I've also read every thread I can find.

1) Finder is crashed upon login. Opening it gives the dreaded 10810 error.
2) Can't empty the trash or show downloads.
3) Nothing appears on the desktop- HD, DVD, etc. Saving a file to the desktop does not cause it to appear.
4) This has been happening without an external drive attached, which seems to be the triggering problem for many people. (I have one, but it's been unattached for most of this, so the problem doesn't seem to have anything to do with mounting or unmounting drives.)

Attempted solutions.
1) At first I was able to open the finder for a while, and I tried deleting preference files. com.apple.finder.plist, com.apple.TimeMachine.plist, com.apple.DiskUtility.plist

Didn't do anything.

2) I've used Onyx and rebuilt launch services several times. Didn't do anything.

3) I've tried various solutions in Terminal. One that relaunches the Finder only generates error codes. None of them do anything.

4) I tried downloading the combo update for 6.4, but Finder won't open it to install after downloading, so that's not much help either.

5) I created a dummy Administrator account for testing purposes. Upon logging in the very first time, I tried to open the Finder and was greeted with the 10810 error.

6) This is beginning to affect other things. I have to reboot every 2 hours to be functional. Certain programs (Firefox especially) have started to hang, but other odd things too. After a while, for example, I can't turn on or off AirPort. It's unresponsive to clicking and beachballs. Much of the time I have to hard reboot with the power switch.

Suggestions short of the nuclear option of reinstalling everything from scratch? :confused:

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
If you've got a backup you'll have no issues with reinstalling and then using the backup with migration assistant. It'll give you a brand new OS X but keep all your settings and apps the way you had it. I've had to do this a few times over the years and NEVER lost anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.