Finder is showing many recently created documents. Bug?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by KimFaura, Jan 29, 2011.

1. KimFaura macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum and to the Mac world so I am hoping that the issue I have at the moment is something normal / easy to solve.

The problem I' have is that since this evening when searching for documents in Finder I am seeing hundreds of documents appearing which apparently have been created in the past few minutes. I can promise you that I am not that efficient! I believe that most of them are old documents that I had ported over from my old PC but now Mac Finder is considering they have been created very recently. Any clues to what's going on?

I restarted my laptop hoping that would solve the issue, but no idea what's going on.

Also, I've been trying to find out the root folder of these documents, something that finder does not show, but they don't appear in folders where it would make more sense they should be existing.

All help will be very much appreciated.

2. JamesMB, Jan 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2011

JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

You aren't by chance looking here are you? If you are, these files are recently"opened" files. You can change the view as illustrated by the arrow, and the file path is displayed at the bottom.

Attached Files:

3. KimFaura thread starter macrumors newbie

Understanding finder...

Now I see what is going on. Since I created a IMAP acount in Mail its pulling loads of attachements from there and showing them in finder as if they were created recently. Is there a way to remove all emails from finder?

4. simsaladimbamba

As you are looking only at search results, it is best to not delete mails via Finder.
    http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/using-smart-folders-in-mac-os-x.html

But you can't exclude certain file types from the searches as it seems.

Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

5. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

As simsaladimbamba said, those are search results. If you want to look at recents, open finder and click the :apple: in the toolbar. I've only been a Mac user for three weeks, but I can see where those search results might come in handy. If you are searching for something and knew that you had opened it today, yesterday, or this week, Spotlight could find it in those results much faster than searching the entire Mac.:)