Finder keeps crashing (10.5.3, Penryn BlackBook)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Saladinos, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Hey guys,

All of a sudden, the Finder seems to be crashing a lot on my 10.5.3 system. I don't think it's to do with the update, because it was working fine until a few days ago. One reproducible crashing scenario is when I try open an Inspector window (Alt+Cmd+I), and click on a folder. If I right-click a folder, hold alt, and open it, then it works fine, until I change the focused folder.

I was thinking of uninstalling 10.5.3 (back to 5.2), and upgrading again, if that's at all possible. I'm away from home, so I don't have the install CD to do a reinstall, and I don't have my time machine handy. Oh, and there's never any sort of crash log. So I can't report the exact reason for failure to Apple, and can't diagnose it myself.

Anybody else experience problems? Anybody solve a similar problem?

2. Saladinos thread starter macrumors 68000

Saladinos

It looks like it might be a QuickLook problem. The thing is, I can open QL fine (albeit much slower than I remember it), but when I close it, the Finder crashes.

Surely a faulty plugin would cause an issue on load, not closing?

EDIT: Not a bad QuickLook plugin. It affects all users (created a new one to test), and the only all-user plugins are from Apple - GarageBand, iWork ...etc

3. Saladinos thread starter macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Issue solved: After looking through the Console, it appears StopLight (the SIMBL plugin) is causing the issues. Hope this helps anybody with the same problems.