Finder keeps Crashing - Not too sure what to do next

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by siam, Mar 12, 2009.

1. siam macrumors regular

When I now open finder and go into cover view , and then scroll through the files, the images shown at the top start to move along, but then freeze , and not move any more , then when I click to try another view , say Icon's , then the finder window just crashes and disappears . I can then open finder again from my dock , but the same happens all over again, I am not too sure what to do next to resolve this problem, I have checked Verify Disk Permissions , Verify Disk, and Repair Disk permissions , and all came up Ok, any thoughts on what to do next would be great - Thanks

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

RE: Finder crashing

RE:
    "then the finder window just crashes and disappears . I can then open finder again from my dock , but the same happens all over again, I am not too sure what to do next to resolve this problem, I have checked Verify Disk Permissions , Verify Disk, and Repair Disk permissions , and all came up Ok, any thoughts on what to do next would be great"

Try this:
    1. Open System Preferences
    2. Do you see something there called "Stuffit AVR"?
    3. Assuming that it _is_ there, do this:
    4. Click on "Stuffit AVR". You want to TURN OFF something that [I believe] is called "Stuffit ArchiveViaRename". You DO NOT want this to be "on"
    5. Turn it off, close System Preferences, and REBOOT
    6. Any better?

My understanding is that this conflicts with a recent QuickTime update. The conflict results in continuous Finder "looping" or crashing. Turning off Stuffit ArchiveViaRename removes the problems.

- John

3. siam thread starter macrumors regular

Hi , and thanks for your advice, Ive checked in my System Preferences and sadly the Stuffit AVR is not there, I do how ever have Stuffit installed on my Mac.

Thanks Siam

4. OneBlueFire macrumors member

OneBlueFire

You need to rebuild your "Display of Folder Contents". This contains thumbnails of all of your files.

Try using ONYX. It can do everything for you automatically, even rebuild LaunchServices and the Spotlight Index, plus it forces your Mac to run all of its maintenance scripts and cleans out all of your cache files.

You should notice a dramatic increase in performance and stability.