Finder keeps unexpectedly quitting, can't access files.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by harrilynch, Jan 10, 2014.

1. harrilynch macrumors newbie

So I recently tried to repair my drive (on recovery mode) because it kept freezing and when I went back to my regular drive and I couldn't acres any of my files. None of my desktop files showed, couldn't open finder and I couldn't search with spotlight. Then it said finder quit unexpectedly and when I pressed ok the window would go away for a few seconds and then the exact same window would pop up again. Most of my other applications work though. I tried restarting and shutting down many times, I tried repairing and repairing permissions on my drive, and I also deleted my finder preferences but since I can't open finder the prefs won't come back. But I believe if I get my finder to open again the preferences will come back so that's not a problem. Let me know if you need to see the crash reports. Thanks

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

What OS version are you on?

If Lion or newer, try a command-r boot to recovery and from there run a disk repair with Disk Utility and see what you get. Have you previously done a disk repair and were there errors shown?