Finder Madness

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by OldCorpse, Jan 27, 2015.

1. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

I'm on OS X 10.9.5. Finder is slowly driving me insane. I cannot get it to work so that I'm not losing tons of time correcting its window behavior.

I'm in Columns view 99% of the time, because I find that the easiest way to see everything at a glance if you have a lot of files and folders.

Here is the problem: when I click on a folder a new column to the right appears, showing the contents of that folder - the problem being, that now the original folder column scoots to the left OUT OF VIEW - AARGH!!! And there is no way I can get it back!!! Now, that happens when the column is quite wide - I need to widen the column, because in the list the folders have often long names. If I keep the folders narrow, this doesn't tend to happen - but I don't have that option!

Is there some way to tell Finder to please not hide the columns when a new column appears? Because it's a bear to get it back - I have to either completely quit the window and start again... just to get back to the folder column! - or keep clicking back and losing the new column in turn. Sometimes I can manage to grab the column divider on the left and widen it to reveal the disappeared column to the right, but that's not always an option. It's just such a mess I cannot function like this if working for any length of time stuff takes 10 times longer than it has to.

I looked into preferences and the only way around I guess would be to have folders open in new windows and not in tabs, at which point I'll have a million windows.

All I want is for the stupid columns not to disappear - I'm on a 27" iMac, there is plenty of screen space, so no need to hide columns.

Any ideas?

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

I'm using 10.9.5 and I have a horizontal Scroll Bar at the bottom of the Finder winder. Do you not have that?

3. vkd macrumors 6502a

vkd

10.9.2 here and no scroll bars displayed by default, although they do appear temporarily when scrolling, which I do by a 2-finger swipe on my Magic Trackpad. So, if I arrange things as you describe, with wide columns that flick the Left Hand column out of site, then by simply swiping horizontally the window display will scroll to show the so-called hidden folders. I am sure you can do the same manipulation if you have a Magic Mouse or whatever. Hope that helps.

4. OldCorpse thread starter macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Thanks, everybody. I have an ordinary mouse - find it easier to use - but I guess I'll buy a magic mouse and do swiping. Thank you again!

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

So do I.

Mine only show when the number of columns are more than the Finder window will show.