Finder Menu's not showing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by glassflank, Jun 19, 2010.

1. glassflank macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I am trying to remove some icons from my desktop which apparently I can do in Finder Preferences.

When I select a finder window the Menu Options are not showing in the top menu bar. I am getting the menu options from the last selected window.

This seems like it will be simple but it's very frustrating that I cannot find something so simple.

Thanks

Nathan.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Do you mean the Menu Bar or the Menu Item Drop-down menu?

[​IMG]

Or is the Menu Bar not showing at all?

Or do you mean the Preference window (CMD+,)?
    [​IMG]

Or do you mean the View Options (CMD+J)?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Btw, what Mac OS X version do you use? And can you make a screen shot (CMD+SHIFT+3 of the whole screen or CMD+SHIFT+4 of a selection) and attach it here?

3. glassflank thread starter macrumors newbie

In the menu bar, I was never able to have Finder as the selected application. for example, the menu bar says 'Things' (the last application I had selected), instead of 'Finder'.

I was however able to get into the Preferences by using the cmd + , shortcut you suggested. Thanks for your help.

I have attached a screenshot anyway to show what is happening. (The window may appear to be deselected while I used the screenshot tool)

Attached Files:

4. glassflank thread starter macrumors newbie

A little help

So once again I began searching for a solution to my problem, I came across a post that described my exact problem, only to find it was my own question I posted 6 months ago. Can anyone help here?

When you select a window in mac, the top menu bars change to represent the current application you have selected. This all works fine for me with every application, except Finder.

When selecting Finder, the top menu bar shows the menu's for the previous application I had selected.

Another symptom: I used to be able to Close my Finder windows by right clicking the Finder icon in the Dock, now when right clicking I only get one option: 'Open'. Even if the finder is already open.

Attached picture is an example of the Finder Menu Bar (The one that doesn't show for me)

Attached Files:

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Restart the Finder. Easiest way is to hit Command-Option-Escape, which brings up the Force Quit menu, select Finder, and hit Relaunch. It may be hanging up.

jW

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I would imagine that the OP has rebooted numerous times over the last six months. I think this could be a corrupt com.apple.finder.plist issue. Put that on the Desktop and Restart.

Find it here:
    /HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences

7. glassflank thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Gregg2 I tried the below, I moved the file to my desktop and restarted, on restart the file had been re-created, however the issue still occurs.

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Well then I guess that wasn't such a great tip. I can't think of anything else except reinstalling the OS. Maybe you just need someone with a sharper thinker.