Finder Movies structure

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by johny5, Jul 25, 2007.

1. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

A relatively new mac user, just wondering about file structures and trying to forget how the pc does it :)

I have a new external raid disk and was wanting to use this as a scratch/storage disk for messing about with movie creation etc.
    My question is, that when I create imovies on the external drive, is there any way of showing these in the sidebar under the existing "Movies" tab?
    I presume that the Movies tab is simply a shortcut to my home folder > Movies?
    I thought maybe creating a smart folder within that folder to then look on my external drive for movies? I had a play around but it doesn't seem to work. The only sort of solution I got was to create a new smart folder to look for movies on my external and then to have it visibly in the sidebar but then I have 2 x Movie tabs in there.
    Thinking about it now I guess I could remove the default one and then have the new smart folder search my boot drive also?

Wonder if there is an easier/simpler way? am I making this too difficult? :)

thanks for any help!

2. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

If you drag the folder you need on your external onto the Finder sidebar, you'll end up with an easy link.

If you right click (or ctrl-click) on the folder on the external through Finder, one of the options is "Create an Alias". You can drag that alias to any place you want to have linked. That way you can have one Movies folder, which includes an alias (which looks just like a regular folder) to the folder on the external and the other items that are already in Movies at the moment.

3. johny5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

johny5

Many thanks, the Alias was exactly what I was looking for :)