Finder-Moving & Copying Files Between Folders

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DogCatMSMac, Feb 2, 2015.

1. DogCatMSMac macrumors member

DogCatMSMac

This is probably a really dumb question but just how does one move or copy a file between folders using Finder? I'm trying to copy files from a USB drive to certain folders on the MAc using the latest Yosemite, when I right click the only option is to move the file to Trash. When I Command Key + Drag, the sub-folders I want for the target location will not open to be seen, only the root directory and it moves the file there instead of copying. When I try to Control Key + Drag the dragging is not possible. Seems to me at some point I've seen a simple process where you right click on the file and it allows you to name the target directory to move or copy to, but I'll be darned if I can locate that now. Thanks

2. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

Start dragging before you press anything. If you're dragging a file or folder between volumes then the default will be to copy, instead of move the file (denoted by a "+" symbol outlined in green underneath the cursor). If you want to move the file instead, then press the Command key and the + symbol should disappear. If you're moving a file on the same volume and want to perform a copy, instead of a move, pressing the alt/option key will bring up the + symbol.

The key is that you'd perform the key press when you're already dragging the file, and keep holding it as you release the mouse or drag. Holding those keys down when selecting files or initially starting a drag can have other effects, which might have been what you were seeing.

3. DogCatMSMac thread starter macrumors member

DogCatMSMac