Finder/MS Office - is it possible for Folders to be listed first?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Hello.there, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Hello.there macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

(sorry if asked 723,837 times before, found the same question but no useful answers!)

Is there any way of setting up Finder so that in Documents the Folders are listed on top, just like in......(taking cover).....Windows?

And is there any way of doing the same when you open/save documents in Microsoft Word for Mac, it's a considerable pain in the bottom to have my Folders sprinkled amongst my documents.

Any one who can solve this for me will get an intensely passionate cyber-hug.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Well you can sort files by kind to kind-of get this effect. But really this is just a difference between Mac OS X and Windows.

This way is simpler as you only have one alphabetical list, but the other way makes navigation similar <shrug>.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Are you using Leopard or Tiger? There are ways, definitely for Tiger and possibly for Leopard, although they may differ....

This seems to show pictures of Leopard (and from the blog post date, it's conceivable it was intended for Leopard, although it does not say), so you might give it a try:

http://www.bece.org/mac/Blog/Entrie...r_Annoyances_-_Sort_Folders_Before_Files.html

Although I thought that was the way I did it in Tiger, and another blog specifically said the Tiger method did not work in Leopard....

Once you implement the change, it should affect all native file dialogs (e.g. any one that looks like an OS X dialog, has a spotlight bar, etc), including the ones in Office, automatically.

4. Hello.there thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

Thanks for that. Yeah, in Finder when I sort by size the Folders appear on top, which is fine. I can't find a way of doing anything similar in Word. Was just hoping there was a setting that would permanently change this. Thanks again.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

mkrishnan's method looks more promising that mine to be honest.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

1. You need to search. The solution has been posted.
    2. You might want that because you are used to it. For me it makes no sense to separate folder from files. For example, I can have a main document say "sales.doc" and a folder "sales documents", it doesn't make sense that they would be in separate locations when done the MS way.

7. Hello.there thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

Excellent mkrishnan, I'll give that a try.

:rolleyes: As already explained, I did search but couldn't find a helpful response. If you find this thread so irksome then why on earth are you posting in it?????

8. Hello.there thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

But it would make perfect sense to place the sales.doc in the sales folder.....that, eh, is what folders are for: organisation.