Finder not finding on macbook

Discussion in 'macOS' started by starmagic, Dec 21, 2009.

1. starmagic macrumors newbie

She is running OS 10.5.8. She just took over my macbook when she GAVE me a macbook pro! Now, when she looks for stuff in finder, things don't come up. Like searching a word that appears in the title and/or content of many of her writings, NOTHING comes up! I am trying to help her, so I'd love some help from you!
    Thanks!
    Star

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Sorry man, but your post is confusing me. All this "she" stuff, I'm getting confused on what you're saying. Are you saying that you gave your old Macbook to someone and now they're having problems with Spotlight finding things? Assuming I'm correct, did you have issues with the old Macbook finding things before? More info please and clearly.

3. starmagic thread starter macrumors newbie

Finder not finding

Sorry for any confusion. I didn't use the finder very often, I knew where my stuff was. So the problem may or may not be new to the new user.

When the new user looks for stuff in finder, things don't come up. Like searching a word that appears in the title and/or content of many of the new users writings, NOTHING comes up

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Sounds like the new user will have to rebuild Spotlight. There are several ways to do this but I like Terminal commands. Here's one of the ways, I copied this from a Google search.

Launch ‘Terminal’ (located in /Applications/Utilities/)
    At the command prompt, type this exactly: sudo mdutil -E /

You will be asked for your password, provide it, as this command requires administrator privelages to run
    You will receive a confirmation message saying that index will be rebuilt
    Wait until index is finished rebuilding, this can take a while depending on the size of your hard drive, amount of files, etc.

5. starmagic thread starter macrumors newbie