Finder not opening...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by imswimmin, Sep 24, 2011.

1. imswimmin macrumors regular

First of all, let me tell you guys that I'm still learning the ins and outs of Mac OSX Lion, as I just got my Macbook Air 2 weeks ago. I'm not really sure if the issue I have is a real basic one, or one that requires me talking to an Apple employee.

Problem:
    When I click the finder icon on my dock, nothing happens. The icon becomes dark when I click it (like with other applications), but does not do anything after I let go of the mouse. I have to right click the finder icon and select new finder window, for anything to happen. Have I accidentally done something to my mac? Let me note that this hasn't always been the case. It is only a recent issue.

Here is another problem that I'm not sure is related to the first. I have selected the option for my external hard drive to show up on the desktop when I plug it in. However, like the first problem, nothing happens when I plug it in. I can still access the hard drive through finder, but like before, this hasn't always been the case.

I'm not sure of the severity of my problems. I am pretty sure that they are small issues, but I am unfortunately not able to get to the bottom of them. Like I said before, I don't have much experience with mac os x, so I sincerely appreciate your help in advance!

2. blatopilot macrumors regular

Have you tried restarting? I would do that first.

Also, with finder open, go to the menu bar and open the preferences of finder. I'm not sure what is causing your problem, but check the settings in there to see if anything jumps out at you.

3. imswimmin thread starter macrumors regular

@Blatopilot

Thanks a lot! Restarting the computer did return finder functionality. Honestly, I'm surprised I didn't try that from the beginning. Anyhow, appreciate it a bunch! :D

Unfortunately however, I also found the solution to my second problem. It seems as though my mac thinks the external hard drive is a "cd, dvd, or iPod", and only shows up on the desktop when that box is check listed... Now to figure out how to get that switched.

4. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

80% of tech problems can be solved with the ol' off/on routine in my experience