Finder not remembering prefs? + a few more ?'s

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rye9, Jun 21, 2009.

1. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

I can't seem to get my applications folder to remember to arrange itself by name. I can change it while in the folder... but when I exit it and go back into it; it's reset to the way it was...

Also, upon completion of setting up my MBP, an error message occurred notifying me that something didn't complete or go through... however I can click somewhere in one of my folders to go back to it. Does anybody know what this is? I can't remember what it said earlier...

Finally... in Mail... is there a way to get rid of the "RSS feeds" thing? Also, I have an AOL account and I can't stand the fact that every time I open mail a new subfolder appears called "Saved IM's"... why? I have never used it and keep deleting it. Also... now there's "mailboxes" with just inbox, sent, and trash.... which is nice but then also my email address has its own menu under it?

2. Wowzera macrumors 6502a

First: Show the hidden files and delete .DStore from Applications and its enclose folder. After that, set it up again.

Second: Could you explain more about it?

Third: Hum, looks that you are using IMAP, right?

3. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

Where do I find this .dstore thing?

And I think it was something about registering for MobileMe or for .Mac.

And yupp... IMAP.

4. Wowzera macrumors 6502a

You need to unhide your files, as I have told before. (search google"how to unhide files on mac, I'm too lazy for it :()

If it's IMAP it will always be there, there's no way to get ride of it, unless you choose to use POP.

Well, then it's MobileMe, unselect it from the Sidebar finder preferences or let it be there and don't click, unless you have a mobile me account.

5. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

Fortunately I found a way around the preferences issue without deleting anything. Instead of clicking on the gear's drop down menu... I think I right clicked the folder instead and looked at the "get info"... idk it was something to that effect... maybe "view options"? (I'd check now but I'm on a PC at work).

Anyways, the Mail thing I guess I can't help and as for the other thing... I don't know what your reply meant lol... I want to finish the setup process and it said to continue it somewhere but I can't remember where...