Finder not responding at startup

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kwfl, Jul 18, 2008.

1. kwfl macrumors 6502

i have a recent model MBP that used to work fine and still sometimes.
    it is running 10.5.4

i got this problem

when i start my computer and it shows me the desktop. In a normal startup you will see the desktop files and folders you have and you will go on opening your folders and files and applications instantly after startup. However, i only see the background of the destop for five minutes. I dont see the files i have on the desktop, i cant open any files or folders. however, i can run the applications on the dock.

when i press option+command+escape i see that the finder is not responding and even if i relaunch it, it wont start until it decides to!, normally after a few moments.

I did an archive and install once and now formated the computer but is still get thsi problem 80% of the times i start up my computer. If the computer is asleep and it wakes up, then i finder is working instantly.

If i log out or restart, finder is not responding after log in.

any ideas? thanks.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Try booting in Safe Mode (hold shift) and see if anything appears in the trash. Another idea is to try repairing permission or repairing the disk.

TEG

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If those don't work do an Archive and Install and then run System Update again.

4. Pickoff macrumors member

I had this happen on an older computer I used to have... running 10.3.9 though, when AirPort was turned on. It was the last of a number of huge problems, so I wiped the machine, but a simple permissions and disk repair should do it.

5. kwfl thread starter macrumors 6502

i did an arechieve and install once and it didnt help

i did a complete erase and install and it didnt help.

that is so wiered.

6. funkylem macrumors newbie

kwfl, I am having exactly the same problem. I am running 10.5.5 and my finder keeps freezing on start-up.

Unfortunately I don't have a solution :( but if I find one, I'll be sure to let you know... My dad is a mac genius so when I next speak to him I'll ask. He may know.

Good luck!