Finder Not Responding, CPU 100% on Boot?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Goftrey, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

My PowerBook's been playing up big time. Whenever I go to boot the machine up, and log in to my account - only the wallpaper, dock, time/date, battery & WiFi show up (ie. no menubar, no icons). I can go ahead & open any of the apps in my dock & use them perfectly... Apart from Finder (which seems to be the obvious culprit). I can't go into terminal & kill Finder because I can't get there in the first place as Finder is locked up & unresponsive. I've done all the precautionary resets (PRAM, NVRAM) to no avail. Is there anyway around this without having to reinstall the OS? Thanks.

2. Andropov macrumors regular

Andropov

3. Goftrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Yep. Still has the same issues.

I've also booted up into Single User Mode & typed in a couple of commands to factory reset the install back to the setup assistant (as you'd find on first boot). But that (surprisingly) also didn't work.

It wouldn't bother me much at all if I had Leopard discs lying around, but as this is my only install of the OS on any of my machines - I'm a bit apprehensive of bunging Tiger on there; 1 - because Leopard works fine, and 2 - I'd lose Aurorafox.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

5. Goftrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Goftrey

$50?! No thank you! Looks like I'll just revert back to Tiger & maybe buy a cheap PowerMac to clone Leopard from in the future.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Why are you still using Aurorafox? It hasn't been updated since January and TFF has surpassed it in security and speed with the most recent updates.

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Probably because it works natively in Leopard and not Tiger.

Aurorafox is a bit smoother than T4Fx.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

With TFF 20+ I've found it to be much better than Aurorafox.

9. Goftrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Goftrey

I've never been a huge fan of TFF myself. Until the time comes that it's a serious threat security-wise it'll be my browser of choice on Leopard.