Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Hi all,

Im still getting used to my new iMac (was a previous Vista User) little confused with three things:

First of all, the finder....

I have just installed some software for my TomTom Sat Nav, and since I have done this my finder seems to have changed..... it is now only showing files from the tom-tom program under 'All My Files' how do I get it back to showing all the iTunes movies etc.

Secondly, after installing the TomTom software I have noticed that i have some of the program files listed in my Documents Stack on the dock.... do I delete this file or is the documents stack or sort of 'my documents' section on the Mac?

Thirdly, after installing certain things, I have noticed that I still have the install file located in the downloads stack on the dock... once the program has installed can I delete these install files from the downloads stack without effecting the program that has been installed?

Hope someone can help my head is mashed at the moment lol

James

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
1. If I understand your question correctly. Then I think the answer would be that all the categories are to the left in the bar and you can browse through your files like that.

2. The documents stack in the Dock shows you the files you have in the documents folder. Its there so that you have quick access to your files and you don't have to open a finder window to look for your documents.

3. Yes you can delete the downloaded files, these will most likely be .dmg or .pkg files. I delete most of my .dmg and .pkg files as they just take up space.

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Hi

Thanks for your response, it was really helpful. The only thing I m still not getting is the Finder, in the left hand pane I have the following listed:

FAVOURITES

All My Files (this has nothing listed in it)
AirDrop (this has just my iMac listed)
Applications (This has all my applications)
Desktop (Nothing listed)
Douments (Has my Tom Tom file listed)
Downloads (Has nothing listed)
Movies (nothing Listed)
Music (Has my iTunes file listed)
Pictures (Has a few things listed)

It is mainly why both 'All My Files' and 'Movies' both have nothing listed in them that confuses me....

Whats the point of the all my files one if it shows nothing?
Wouldn't my iTunes movies show up in the movies section?

Thanks

James

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
Hi

Thanks for your response, it was really helpful. The only thing I m still not getting is the Finder, in the left hand pane I have the following listed:

FAVOURITES

All My Files (this has nothing listed in it)
AirDrop (this has just my iMac listed)
Applications (This has all my applications)
Desktop (Nothing listed)
Douments (Has my Tom Tom file listed)
Downloads (Has nothing listed)
Movies (nothing Listed)
Music (Has my iTunes file listed)
Pictures (Has a few things listed)

It is mainly why both 'All My Files' and 'Movies' both have nothing listed in them that confuses me....

Whats the point of the all my files one if it shows nothing?
Wouldn't my iTunes movies show up in the movies section?

Thanks

James

Yeh I see what you mean. I attached a screenshot of how my all files section looks like. There are files there but i covered them with white boxes.
I never use that section though.
i dont have movies in my iTunes at the moment, so I cant help you with that one :(
Id say use the documents folder for your files, organize it well and that way you'll always know where your stuff is.

Attachments

• All My Files.png
    All My Files.png
    109.2 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Hi all,

Im still getting used to my new iMac (was a previous Vista User) little confused with three things:

First of all, the finder....

I have just installed some software for my TomTom Sat Nav, and since I have done this my finder seems to have changed..... it is now only showing files from the tom-tom program under 'All My Files' how do I get it back to showing all the iTunes movies etc.

Secondly, after installing the TomTom software I have noticed that i have some of the program files listed in my Documents Stack on the dock.... do I delete this file or is the documents stack or sort of 'my documents' section on the Mac?

Thirdly, after installing certain things, I have noticed that I still have the install file located in the downloads stack on the dock... once the program has installed can I delete these install files from the downloads stack without effecting the program that has been installed?

Hope someone can help my head is mashed at the moment lol

James

The "All My Files" favourite is useless in my opinion. I don't know why Apple have decided to make Finder in Lion useless with the default options and this is why we have 10 threads a week asking about space issues and files and so forth. I understand they are trying to abstract the idea of folders and files away from the user, but why. There is no need to. Files and folders are simple and natural to understand for anybody with an IQ above that of an amoeba.

Click on Finder --> Preferences

Change the default "New Finder window shows" to your home directory (your username)

ScreenShot2011-12-30at11547PM.png

Now click on Sidebar at the top of the window and choose which shortcuts to view in the sidebar. You'll see that I have pretty much all of them, except for "All My Files", which, in my opinion, is useless.

ScreenShot2011-12-30at11607PM.png

Now close the preferences window and go to to the finder menu

Select "Show Path Bar" and "Show Status Bar"

ScreenShot2011-12-30at11642PM.png

Now click on Show View Options

ScreenShot2011-12-30at11738PM.png

You'll see I've ticked the columns that I use, but you may have no need for Version and Label

Click on "Calculate All Sizes", then click on "Use as Defaults"

ScreenShot2011-12-30at11753PM.png

Voila - you now have a useable file manager.

ScreenShot2011-12-30at11813PM.png

----------

This depends on how you've configured your iTunes and whether you've added your files into iTunes already.

Leave these alone for now. Follow my instructions above first, then tell us what is in your actual documents folder.

You may delete these downloaded install files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.