Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

punkromance

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2008
Whole bunch of issues with Lion, wondering how common they are.

-Moving items between folders
Moving one small 20kb file can take ten seconds. You drag and drop, wait a few seconds, the "moving 1 file progress bar shows up, wait a few more seconds, the windows all shuffle about, it finally moves and the windows all move back to their place.
I just tried trashing a couple of files, then a couple more (all tiny .htm files) and I've been left with this for the last minute and a half. Gave up and relaunched finder to get rid of it.
GG6ha.png

-Opening an image in Preview
What the hell have they done to this program in Lion? In SL Preview was instant. If it hasn't been opened recently it can easily take 10 seconds to open. I have "save opened windows" or whatever it's called turned off, so it's not attempting to open anything that was open when it closed last time.

-Finder taking ages to show thumbnails
Opening a folder or scrolling through will always spend far too long displaying these grey boxes before showing the actual thumbnail. What gives? This never happened in SL.
qHU2r.png

-Songs in iTunes sometimes skip.
Occasionally a song in iTunes will cut out for a fraction of a second every so often. It's nothing to do with the file, you can go back and play it again and it's fine. It's just like the harddrive can't read the file fast enough. It's just a normal MP3.

For troubleshooting: I have the latest high end 15" MBP. 7200rpm hard drive with plenty of free space. 8GB RAM.
Verified and repaired disk and disk permissions. Reset the PRAM.
Reindexed the entire HDD in Spotlight.

This is what Disk Utility turned out for my hard drive. Not sure how to read it so I can't tell if it's the hard drive at fault or not.
dUTNf.png

I'm stuck. I don't know what else to do. I've searched around following the advice other people have been given when relevant, but none of it's helped.

Added to the fact I have the creaky base, and that my CPU reaches 99ºC with almost no provocation, and a dodgy screen. I'm not impressed at all with this machine.

Hopefully one of you can help.
Cheers.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
I can relate to the Preview issue. It was so slow on Lion that it took at least 10 seconds to open a PDF with 4 pages. Really Apple...?

Basically, Lion has tons of inconvenient bugs, and if you can dispense the iCloud features (except Mail, you can get and send iCloud mail on SL), I suggest you switch back to SL.

That's what I did, with terrible memory management (you have 8 GB of RAM with a 2011 MB Pro, but my 2009 MB Pro with half the RAM stutters a bit - SL NEVER did this). I'm back and extremely satisfied with SL.

Having done the upgrade and stayed with Lion from July 2011 to February 2012, all I can say is that from the start of this month (when I reinstalled SL), my machine feels like it was reborn.

Just my 2 cents. Lion to me is a piece of crap and I will never use it again, because of terrible RAM management and Mission Control (amongst other things).

punkromance

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2008
I can relate to the Preview issue. It was so slow on Lion that it took at least 10 seconds to open a PDF with 4 pages. Really Apple...?

Basically, Lion has tons of inconvenient bugs, and if you can dispense the iCloud features (except Mail, you can get and send iCloud mail on SL), I suggest you switch back to SL.

That's what I did, with terrible memory management (you have 8 GB of RAM with a 2011 MB Pro, but my 2009 MB Pro with half the RAM stutters a bit - SL NEVER did this). I'm back and extremely satisfied with SL.

Having done the upgrade and stayed with Lion from July 2011 to February 2012, all I can say is that from the start of this month (when I reinstalled SL), my machine feels like it was reborn.

Just my 2 cents. Lion to me is a piece of crap and I will never use it again, because of terrible RAM management and Mission Control (amongst other things).

I know, right? My machine wouldn't work with 4GB RAM. It was so unbelievably slow I was shocked. It sped up a bit upgrading to 8, but I really really shouldn't have to do that.

I've been sorely tempted to switch back to SL. Hopefully it'll work okay on my machine. I'll miss full screen apps something silly though. That and the things like Quick Look resizing images and playing .gifs. Oh well. I'll try and install it on a partition and see if it works any better.

Mail doesn't bother me, I use Sparrow.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
Regarding full screen apps, what I do now is just have 8 Spaces instead of the default 4, and assign the last 4 to any full screen apps I need. I generally don't have more than 4 running in the background at the same time.

Generally, my spaces go like this:

1 - Browsing (FF, Safari, etc...)
2 - Social Networking (Echofon, Adium, iChat, Skype...)
3 - Parallels VMs/Xcode/Netbeans/whatever developement ide
4 - Entertainment (VLC, Quicktime)

FULL SCREEN APPS SECTION (not really full screen but you get the idea)
5 - Mail
6 - Reeder
7 - iStudiez
8 - Anything else

This way, I always know where my apps are. It's brilliant and the grid layout makes it so much easier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.