Finder preferences & windows won't appear

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by rdpark, Aug 19, 2011.

1. rdpark macrumors newbie

I'm have a problem I haven't seen posted yet: my finder preference window won't come to the front. When I switch from one desktop to another, I can see the preferences window underneath the sliding desktops/applications. However, it's not moving with the others. And, there is usually another window displaying finder info, but I don't recognize it yet. Finally, when I try to go into the windows menu of the finder and bring all of them forward, I see multiple listings of the disk drive -up to 8 - of my disk drive and the check box/toggle (?) for finder preferences. None are brought forward though when I attempt it. I tried removing the system library preference file (plist) and it didn't help.

2. dashard macrumors newbie

@rdpark:

You are not alone. Clicking on my Finder's Dock icon will not budge the Finder to the front. So far the only fix that I see is to right-click the Dock icon and choose "New Finder Window", which will then come to the front. Simply clicking the Finder Dock icon (clicking, command-clicking, option-clicking, cmd-option-clicking) will not bring the Finder forward. I'd thought it might be a Space/Dock issue but can't seem to isolate where the problem lies.

To be clear, I don't share your multiple drive listings, and my issue isn't just the Finder prefs window but the Finder itself, but the symptoms of it refusing to come forward are the same. I would guess there's a common thread here.

Thought you might want to know you're not alone (very quiet thread indeed!). Found this post when searching for a fix. Frustrating.

3. dave.aus macrumors newbie

Same Problem

Hey i am experiencing the same problem. when i click on the finder in the dock it won't come forward and i have no die how to fix this problem. HELP