Finder problems - freezing!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tonicaek, Nov 23, 2010.

1. tonicaek macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

Finder on the MBP keeps crashing on me from startup. It started happening three days ago, on 10.6.4, ran an upgrade to 10.6.5 this morning in hope it would solve the issue, to no avail.

Issues involved are:
    • Finder unable to load anything on the desktop;
    • Beachball appearing on desktop, can't click anything;
    • When I was able to open folders, the contents wouldn't load;
    • Some files refused to open, causing their applications to crash;
    • For the computer to actually shut down I have to relaunch Finder.

I've had a look about and found that other people have come across the same issue. I started up the MBP in Safe Mode and the same thing happened - Finder just didn't want to play ball. The last things I remember doing prior to this happening were, emptying the trash and dragging a document onto the desktop from an external drive.

I've attempted resetting the PRAM, and have followed the steps listed on:
    http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/finder.html
    to attempt fixing it, each to no avail. I'm baffled! :confused:

Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Toni

2. tonicaek thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh well, suppose it's a matter of re-purchasing SL.

3. primalman macrumors 6502a

Don't repurchase, re-intall. Then restore user data from TM or other backup.

4. tonicaek thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought the SL disc to update my MB before selling it on, and gave it away with it. I'll use the Leopard disk that came with the MBP for now.

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Good luck with that. You have 10.6.4 and you want to install a version of 10.5 so you'll have to wipe it clean first. If you're confident in your back up, have at it. SL is cheap. You might want to reconsider.

6. tonicaek thread starter macrumors newbie

I've accessed the MBP through target mode through the iMac - so all files are backed up, however, I've now found I can't actually go ahead with it. The CD drive on the MBP keeps spitting out the install disk, and I can't run the install disc through target mode from the iMac because that's running SL. Suppose it's time to fork out £25-ish for another copy of SL.