finder problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by furcalchick, Aug 18, 2007.

1. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

for the past day, i've been trying to transfer a mega huge file from my windows pc wirelessly (about 4.5 gigs in size, and this takes many hours). four times, i've had the transfer process interrupted mid-download due to a disconnect. the connection comes back a few minutes later, but then i'm forced to restart the computer because the copy process won't stop, causing the computer to slow down to an inoperative level, or finder shuts down and does not come back. so i have a few questions.

1. how can i stop the copying of a file that was interrupted mid stream? the stop copying button doesn't work.

2. any reason for this extreme slowdown?

3. is there an easier way to transfer the files, perhaps through a wire? usb to usb?

thanks for the help.

2. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

are you doing this over a wireless network?
    burn it to dvd that could save time
    try using ethernet thats always quick when i use it try using gig cable if you can

3. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

1. yes

2. the only dvd burner i have is actually on my macbook, which is the whole purpose of the transfer.

3. i have spare ethernet cables, i'll see how that goes.

4. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

yeah id defiantly try the ethernet that should speed things up massively

5. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

used the ethernet and the files are on the mac now, so that's good news. but the dvd burner isn't properly burning right now, so i'll just put it on the external for now. but the ethernet whacked my pc off the internet for a bit (it's irritating).