finder process on CPU

Discussion in 'macOS' started by funkypepper, Apr 25, 2007.

1. funkypepper macrumors member

A few minutes ago I realized that my fan was working quite loud, and when i checked it with iStat Pro, it was working on 70C. And my finder was working with %100. Then restarted my MacBook, still it continued, shut it down then opened again, still the same, scanned with macscan, no spyware found and finally made a whole optimization with onyx and it is still the same.

What can be the problem?

2. alexprice macrumors 6502a

Thats odd. I would just do an archive and install. Use the install DVD to do this. Just boot from it. On the destination page that you will reach, choose options then tick archive and install and preserve users settings. Make sure once thats complete, that you run software update.

Hope this helps.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Network share getting unexpectedly disconnected? OSX will sometimes try and reconnect on restart and get back in a tizzy.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Are you using any UI "enhancements" like shapeshifter or the like?

5. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

It could just be running maintenance on your computer. Although I guess that would show different processes taking up the CPU time. What happens if you just leave it alone for 15 minutes?

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

7. funkypepper thread starter macrumors member

No, no such thing. I had a problem of not connecting airport sometimes but it is fine now.

Sometimes I just switch on animated wallpaper from OnyX, except that there's nothing that I use.

The problem(!?) started yesterday evening, unluckly I was about to go outside. Now I'll try leaving alone for 15 minutes. Do you mean this is something normal, done periodically? If so I'll love that :)

Sometimes the percentage stays between %95 and %100, sometimes declines to %65s; going up and down.

P.s. A few days ago I installed Azureus, I've heard that (also I see) it uses RAM very much. Would it be possible Azureus to cause such thing?

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

They are, but the actual binary that runs is called "periodic".

/usr/sbin/periodic

The first good troublexhooting step is to see if the problem happens when you log in as another user. If not, you're in a good position. If not...

Also, you might want to try removing the /Users/youruser/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist and logout and log back in.

9. funkypepper thread starter macrumors member

Oops the problem is over. I was quite sure that it happened after something I did, and begin cleaning my desktop. An unfinished torrent file could not be erased totally, then I relaunched Finder and deleted it, it all came back to normal. The frustrating thing that is, how can a single file could cause such high traffic?

Thanks to all repliers by the way.