finder question - how can I see ALL files within a folder (INCLUDING subfolders??)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by eroxx, Feb 15, 2012.

1. eroxx macrumors 6502a

I have a folder that has a ton of files, but spread across lots of folders.

Is there a way I can see ALL of the files within that folder, subfolders and files included???

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I think Column View is what you want. I use Icon View, and I'm not at a Mac to try the other options.

But, if you have a "ton" you'll be scrolling a lot.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Click on the folder you want to explore, then press the Option key and the right arrow key. That will expand all folders and subfolders, revealing all contents. Do the same with the left arrow key to reverse.

4. interrobang macrumors 6502

Which is the same as option-clicking the disclosure triangle next to the folder.
    Note that this may take a while to display if you try it on a folder with many sub-items.

Alternatively, define a Smart Folder that selects all the documents from the folder.

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Nope. List View

Fixed that for you. ;)

Well, not quite. Doing as GGJstudios suggests will expand not only the folder highlighted, but every folder within it. That is what the OP is after. You will only get one folder to expand by clicking the triangle.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Nothing needs to be fixed. List view is the only view where you can see all files/folders/subfolders, anyway. This functionality doesn't exist with any other view.
    If you Option-click the triangle, you get the same effect as using the arrow keys. It appears to work a bit slower on my system, for some reason, but it does expand everything.

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

You're correct, of course. But, due to the basic nature of the question, I was assuming that the OP might not know that. Thus, I felt it was important to be a little more descriptive.