Finder Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Markbook, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Markbook macrumors newbie

Problem is I have some sensitive files I have recently viewed on my Mac and would prefer these not to appear in the "searched for' part of finder for all at work to see, I swear I have done it before but I can't work out how to clear them, any help?

2. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

Put them in a file that only you can get into. I believe you can make it write-only, so other people can put stuff in, but can't see what's in it. Also, lock it.

3. Markbook thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip, but is there anyway of just clearing out the list, I realised it literally goes back to when i bought the damn thing.

4. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

create a blank disk image file with disk utility by selecting file-->new-->new blank disk image. I would encrypt it and put a password on it.

Save this to wherever you want to keep your files and mount it. Then open it up in the finder and with a separate finder window, copy and paste (first, you can remove them later) the files/folders you want into the mounted disk image file. There now should be two copies of the files, one in the disk image, and one in the original location.

Unmount and remount the disk and make sure the files are in there. After you have verified the files are in the disk image, you can move the original files into the trash and empty it. This will remove them and you will not be able to find them when you search in finder.

This is just a good method for keeping any sensitive files safe by password protecting them.

5. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Yes. Just do Finder -> Preferences -> Sidebar and uncheck everything you don't want.

6. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Yeah^^^ you could disable the "search for" in the sidebar completely.