Finder Quits and reopens from right clicking things...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by OverSpun, May 4, 2007.

1. OverSpun macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

The story on the front page of macfixit. yesterday (http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20070502084625394) about the finder quitting and reopening from use of the right click (opt + click) feature of the contextual menus is annoying me. I had no idea what it was so I totally reformatted my computer thinking something just got screwed up, and I installed all the updates and it was back... Only to find the culprit (according to yesterdays article) to be the new QT. I tried following the directions to reinstall 10.4.9 to see if it fixed it, and nothing.. I also removed the contextual menu preference files from the other folder, as it asked... I REALLY want to avoid having to do an archival reinstall and have to reinstall a lot of my applications again that'll lose some data... does anyone have any other methods that worked? I'm assuming apple would come out with a fix for this sometime relatively soon.. or one would hope.

Thanks!

2. msiller macrumors newbie

Check this...

I used to have the exact same problem on my MacBook Pro. And it was terribly annoying.
    But, I did some searching on-line and found out that the problem has nothing to do with Apple's software.
    The problem resides in Stuffit 11's contextual menu item.
    So, if you have the latest version (11.0.2) but you downloaded this a while ago, e.g. when then announced it, you have the version that it's causing this. Go to their website and either download version 11.0.2 if you have version 11.0 or 11.0.1, or there is a patch for people using the early 11.0.2 update.
    It solved the Finder restarting issue for me!
    I hope this helps!

m.

3. OverSpun thread starter macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

its funny that you mention that, because thats exactly what it was. I fixed it a couple days ago by removing that item from the contextual menu from stuffit. how annoying. It was only that, and I reinstalled OS X twice.

4. iHerzeleid macrumors 6502a

iHerzeleid

If anyone was interested Unarchiver is a good alternative to Stuffit as it opens any compressed files like .sit's and .rar's.