Finder quits, then opens

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Millwood, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Millwood macrumors regular

This has been happening a few times and I'm getting worried if it's something that's going wrong with my machine.
    I'm on an iMac G5 18Ghz, 2GB Memory and my finder quits quickly and reopens. Sometimes, i'm just browsing my applications or I go to right click on a document and the finder quits and quickly restarts.
    What should I do?
    I saw somewhere I should trash the finder preferences and restart my mac, but where exactly are they located in the library/prefs? Should I even do that?

Thanks!

2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

First restart your machine and see if that helps. Finder preferences are at:
    Home > Library > Preferences > com.apple.finder.plist. If that doesn't work restart from your startup disk and use Disk Utility to check your drive. Good luck.

3. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

Do you happen to have stuffit installed? I was having a similar issue and it was being caused by a contextual menu item (HD->Library->Contextual Menu Items). These are things which pop up when you use the right-click. I deleted the one from Stuffit and it was OK after that.

4. Millwood thread starter macrumors regular

Actually, yes. I just upgraded today to stuffit deluxe 11.0.2.

Hopefully I will try that and it will work.

5. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

6. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

hahaha - anytime I see a thread about the Finder crashing, my immediate assumption is a bad contextual menu item....and it's usually StuffIt.

Yarg, StuffIt if awful. Unless you need StuffIt for .sitx files, I HIGHLY recommend using The Unarchiver instead.

7. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

Yeah, I learned this one the hard way. I was wondering what the hell was wrong and eventually did an Archive/Install. That fixed it until I installed stuffit again and I put 2 and 2 together. Here's the math:

2+2=Stuffit sucks.

8. Millwood thread starter macrumors regular

Seems that stuffit thing did the trick...

Thanks for the help!

9. Membrain macrumors member

Membrain

Stuffit and Finder don't play nice

That sounds like the problem I'm having. I don't get the error message "your program has quit suddenly -restart -restore blah blah" Just a quick flash where the screen I'm on with finder disappears.

Will try getting rid of Stuffit contextual menu - Any hints on where this is and how i remove it without uninstallig the whole suite?

10. penter macrumors 6502a

penter

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

im sure its a typo, though ;)

11. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

HD->Library->Contextual Menu Items

Just remove the stuffit file. It won't affect the rest of the suite, but it will remove Stuffit from the right-click menu.

12. Millwood thread starter macrumors regular

forgot to add the "."

:)

13. laraksca@gmail. macrumors newbie

14. rrijkers macrumors 6502

rrijkers

Thanks for help, I think this solved my problem too (so far so good anyways) :)

15. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I was having the same problem with the finder windows crashing, and then it kept reopening my applications folder. It would happen with right-clicks, I couldn't figure it out so I searched for "finder crashing" and found this thread.

I had just installed stuffit... removed the contextual menu, and now it's fixed.

Awesome!