Finder - recent items deleted

Discussion in 'macOS' started by byziphone4, Sep 22, 2011.

1. byziphone4 macrumors member

When you delete a file from your documents folder and than you go to check your recent items under Finder...the file remains listed still but when I click on the name of that file...nothing happens..nothing even pops up to say something to the effect of the file not existing anymore..is this normal..does mac os snow leopard not have this function?

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

No, that's not normal. Dump the Finder plist file.

Here it is, at the end of its path:
    /Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

Move it to the Desktop and Restart.

3. byziphone4 thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_10 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E600 Safari/6533.18.5)

I just got this MacBook a couple of days ago...not much time to play with it...are you saying that this is not set this way by default?...or this setting is how it should have been?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, it's not that way by default.

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

6. byziphone4 thread starter macrumors member

No...its not that I cant view my recent items list..I can view it just fine...it's that when I had deleted a file it still remained under my recent files list and I clicked on it and nothing happened...not even a warning as to the file was missing or couldn't be found. I was wondering if this was a glitch or if Mac X didn't have the feature of letting someone know that a file in the recent items list was deleted when clicked on?

7. byziphone4 thread starter macrumors member

Ok.. Greg said that this is not normal for this to be doing this...and then GGJ says that this is not that way by default...as in it is not that way by default that it says file is missing or deleted once you click on it?..so you have to change it to make it say this? Or that it is not that way by default that it shouldn't be doing what I am describing?

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Even on Leopard, when clicking on a Recent Items entry that has been deleted, no message pops up to say the file is missing. Nothing happens. This is true on Leopard, Snow Leopard and Lion.

9. byziphone4 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you! The reason for asking is because I recently got a new MacBook Air and I am new to Macs and when it first happened I was surprised that nothing was happening..in fact I first thought that maybe my computer was slowing down on me and not able to handle the missing file...but everything else was working great.