Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flyinace2000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 28, 2004
Alright guys i need your help. I do some tech consulting on the side. A client of mine has a 20" G5 iMac (last gen) and had a hard drive die 2 weeks ago. Luckily his backups were fine and he lost less than 5% of his files. Anyway apple onsite installed the new hard drive and restored the computer to 10.3. When i came in I upgraded him back to Tiger and installed his applications (Quark, Adobe CS2, MS Office 2004, some FTP programs). After i was done installing i noticed that every 20 to 40 seconds finder would relaunch and throw up a finder window. It happen over and over again. I eventually fixed it by trashing the desktop plist. That was about a month ago. Yesterday i got an email from him describing the eaxact same issue. So i had him trash the plist again, but it is still happening. Except without the finder window. Finder just comes the forefront and he has to click back into the document he was using. He sent me a scren shot and the applications he has running are.
Finder
Entourage
Safari
Word
Quark
Suitcase
Acrobat
Preview

The problem is isolated to his user. I am waiting for him to send me another screenshot of Activity Monitor.

Thanks for the help

FJ218700

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2007
Blue Dot, Red State
so if it is isolated to his user account, maybe make a new user account for him, migrate a few files over at a time, and see what (if anything) triggers the same response.

Flyinace2000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 28, 2004
so if it is isolated to his user account, maybe make a new user account for him, migrate a few files over at a time, and see what (if anything) triggers the same response.

I was trying to avoid a migration becuase he uses gigs of files on any given day.

But I might have too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.