Finder Replacement

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PeaceOut, Jun 9, 2008.

1. PeaceOut macrumors member

Is there a replacement that actually works well?

I didn't like explorer on windows so I switched to freecommander, which gives me a split window so I can copy/cut(move)/paste easily.

I'm trying to get used to Finder but the more I use it, the more frustrating it gets. It has nice visual effects and what not but it's just not efficient.

After doing some searching, I've come up with a short list of alternatives but I was wondering if anyone has experience using these and would recommend one or the other.

- xfile
    - mucommander (looks the most promising)
    - PathFinder

Thanks

2. PeaceOut thread starter macrumors member

guess everyone is satisfied with finder...oh well. :rolleyes:

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I use pathfinder and quicksilver.

I spend most of my time using quicksilver and on rare occasion when I have no idea where a file is I'll use pathfinder.

4. PeaceOut thread starter macrumors member

i've read a lot of negative reviews about pathfinder.

I've found quicksilver useful when looking for files but not to copy/cut/paste/organize.

The more I use the mac...I get the feeling that it's "mac thinking" to put things anywhere convenient as long as you can find it. Call me ol' fashion but I'd like to keep my system tidy and neat.

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

could you point me to a negative review of pathfinder?
    I've been using it for a while, but to be honest haven't found too many things that it does that the finder doesn't and I'm debating whether I really need it. Granted I don't do a lot of work that would require me to move things around or anything finder related. I'd have to say path finder and the finder I rarely use.

6. chscag macrumors 65816

"muCommander" is the way to go. Free and works just like we remember (us old fellows anyway) the Norton Commander for DOS. I use it all the time and would not be without it. :D

Regards.

7. chatoyer macrumors regular

8. remoteONE, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011

remoteONE macrumors newbie

We need a Finder REPLACEMENT, not a finder Alternative !

Finder is a complete POS. I use Pathfinder but it is still a little buggy. And its still, like all Ive looked at, just and alternative file manager app to finder.
    Everyone seems to be confusing "replacement" with "alternative"!
    All "Finder Replacement" apps are not replacements at all, but are additional "Alternative" apps.
    Whats needed is a true "Finder Fix" ... a true "Finder Replacement".
    Something that makes Finder work on OSX as well as Explorer works on windows.
    Eg: Just fix some of the basics for a start:
    1. Right Mouse Functions like "Cut", "Delete"
    2. Ability to manage files from the "Open" or " Save" windows that pop up within Apps.! (like WinXP's Explorer)
    3. A PATH box that you can Copy n Paste to!
    Dont expect Apple to fix this ... they have only just discovered "full screen windows" something that microsoft has had since windows 3.1.!

9. windels macrumors regular

windels

10. matthi macrumors newbie

You also might want to have a look at Forklift 2. I've used the trial version in the past, and was pretty pleased with it. It's not free however..

11. marcusj0015 macrumors 65816

It's proabbly a bad idea to replace a very much core system componet witha third party alternative... sounds like you're just begging for hard to track down bugs.

12. interrobang macrumors 6502

Sounds like the replacement you're looking for exists...it's called Windows Explorer, it does completely replace the Finder, and has all the features you're looking for. Be sure to back up your files before you install it, but it runs beautifully on any Intel Mac.