Finder running really slow

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by curvephotograph, Feb 19, 2014.

1. curvephotograph macrumors member

I've got 2x 60gb SSD's one for startup and a second for work in progress with 2 standard drives for storage and archive/music.

My MacPro 2.8 Quad core running 10.9.1 is working fine in applications and general running but anytime I need to use finder it freezes for 10-15 seconds. If I ask to open the wastebasket it takes some time before this happens. If I open the startup SSD it takes about 10 seconds before it displays its contents.

All the other HD's open and display instantly, just the startup ssd is slow. The work in progress SSD works fine just the startup one.

The problem SSD is installed under the optical drive not in the HD bays.

It used to work fine now it doesn't.

Any suggestions?

2. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

What is the model of the SSD? How much free space do you have? Is TRIM enabled?

3. curvephotograph, Feb 19, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014

curvephotograph thread starter macrumors member

Its an OCZ vertex 2 which was about the best you could buy at the time. I have no idea what trim is but it does support trim according to the box.

Just checked in system profile and trim isn't turned on for the 2 ssd's

4. theSeb, Feb 19, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014

theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Sounds like you have had it for long time if it's a Vertex 2 and its performance has degraded over the time you have used it, or it's coming to its end of life. I think you would need the trim hack to get trim working on this model in OS X, but I recall many people having lots of issues with their Vertex 2s and 3s once TRIM was enabled.

Considering the prices of SSDs these days, I would just go and buy a new drive.

5. curvephotograph thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help! What are the best SSD's of the moment? And simplest way to clone across?

6. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

For speed I would look at Samsung 840 Pro, Seagate 600 Pro, Sandisk Extreme II

For more budget versions: Samsung 840 Evo, Sandisk Ultra plus

7. snouter macrumors 6502a

I like the Samsung 840 Pro also.

Also, are you using 10.9.1? I have noticed some general finder wonkyness.

8. curvephotograph thread starter macrumors member

Ordered a Seagate 600 Pro, specs seemed better and it was a bit cheaper too. I am using 10.9.1

Whats the best way to clone the startup disk?

9. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Carbon copy cloner, but it costs money. $20 or something and well worth it

Or

If you boot into your recovery partition, you can use disk utility to clone your startup disk. I don't remember if it clones the recovery partition as well though, which can be a bit of a pain in the future. Having said that, it can be created in various ways and you can easily find the steps how to do it