Finder Running Very Slowly

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SusanHan, Mar 14, 2009.

1. SusanHan macrumors newbie

Hello
    I am using an Intel based iMac 2.8GHz, has 4GB memory, OS 10.5.6. It has 16GB Hard disk free.
    After finder has been up for 20 seconds or so the response time between clicks gets really slow (1 or 2 minutes). The problem repeats every time Finder is restarted. When I look at the Activity monitor the Finder shows that it is taking up 840MB of RAM and most of the CPU. I have repaired permissions and that helped for a short time.
    Thanks for any suggestions!

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Create a new user account and see if it still happens there ... is Finder the only app that does this?

3. SusanHan thread starter macrumors newbie

Finder Slow - New User Account Worked

Hi - Thanks for the info. I had another user account and switched over to it. The finder runs fine in that account. I'm not sure what that means - and what I should do to fix the problem in the other user account. Any ideas?
    Thanks

4. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

Likely you need to cycle your cache files on the original account. Use Onyx (free download) and run the daily, weekly, monthly scripts to refresh the caches.

5. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

+1 for Onyx - i use that program and CCleaner for Windows XP when i clean computers, Onyx ALWAYS makes a huge differences and usually fixes problems when there isn't anything INCREDIBLY wrong with the machine. it's a great maintenance program.

however, with Windows - CCleaner will usually help but... we're talking about Windows here - you're gunna have to be a little more involved :D

also you described you had only 15GB of HD space left... it isn't a HUGE deal but it is recommended that you have 10-15% free space. i'm guessing that if you have a high spec iMac, then you probably don't have a hard drive smaller than 120GB, therefor having less than 10-15%

i usually clean until 25% is free so you still have some leeway...

i know this may be sacrilegious - but setup a windows live account if you have a lot of pictures, or music - a 25GB server... FREE!!

however,

the only drawback is that there is a 50MB per file limit.

6. SusanHan thread starter macrumors newbie

Finder Fixed With Onyx

Hi
    Thanks for your help - Onyx worked. Finder is running normally again. You guys are great!