Finder screen sharing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by irishgrizzly, Sep 9, 2009.

1. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

I was reading through this guide about screen sharing through finder, and I'm wondering if this works remotely between two machine where I'm at machine A and machine B is on and online but unmanned. Will this work or does it require someone to accept a connection?

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Through the Finder, your username and password constitute approval to initiate screen sharing, so yes, you can do it to a computer with no one near it. Keep in mind to do it over the internet, you need to know that computer's public IP address (if it has one of it's own) and have the proper ports open on your router(s), or use MobileMe and Back to my Mac (usually works fine, though I have had problems on occasion).

jW

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

As noted, it can be done. Just be aware that is does decrease your security as it uses VNC protocols, which are inherently insecure. You can increase that security by using a SSH tunnel for the connection. There are a few articles around on how to set this up if you're up for it. Generally I only recommend setting up VNC connections on local networks and not allowing in any outside machines.