Finder search not working

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by Cavara34, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Cavara34, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017

Cavara34 macrumors member

Hi,

So recently when I search for a word in a finder window I'm only receiving results with the word in the title, but not results where it appears within the document. The search criteria is not set for this so far as I can tell. Any help is appreciated.

I've tried reindexing to no avail.

Thanks.

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

3. Cavara34 thread starter macrumors member

I appreciate that, and may use it, though I'd still be glad to find a way to fix the native function if I can. It works apart from only searching for titles. There must be a means to correct that.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I just tested and mine works on Sierra. Could it be you have turned off a relevant category in the Spotlight preference pane in System Preferences?

5. Cavara34 thread starter macrumors member

No, they're all selected. I've also tried rebuilding, as it's called I think, by adding my HD icon to the privacy list and then removing it. Still, only a small number of the files containing a given term will appear. It's really crucial function for me, unfortunately.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Is this only one type of document that does not work, or is it everything? For example, can you make a .txt file with TextEdit and will it search the contents of that file?

7. Cavara34 thread starter macrumors member

The issue doesn't appear to have to do with file type. Results don't come from folders they should (and directing a search within those folders doesn't help), and only a tiny number of those that should appear do so.

8. Joerg McFly macrumors newbie

Joerg McFly

Just wanted to add this for the record - I've been experiencing the same restrictions in Spotlight Search and find it much harder to use ever since the Sierra upgrade. My temporary way around this is to use more relevant keywords in new filenames, but obviously that can't be it - it used to be so much easier to find the contents I was looking for because Spotlight had a better look "inside" the files...