Finder Seems to "Reset" itself randomly, Suggestions?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by agentphish, Sep 19, 2007.

1. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Hello,

Recently, I'd say within the last 2-3 weeks or so, if I am working in the finder, for example tonight i had a group of files highlighted and i right clicked on them, and then suddenly all of the finder windows that were open (3 of them) closed, and the dock went away and came back and all of my icons on the desktop went away and came back... its as though I force quitted and pressed the "Relaunch Finder" key, but i def. didn't.

I also noticed this on my Parents' BRAND NEW iMac. It was happening randomly, just like on my computer. I am wondering if there is a recent update that occured that made this start to happen. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks!

2. ultimateceej macrumors regular

ultimateceej

I just relaunched finder and the Dock did not reset. It seems like there might be a program that requires both Finder and the Dock to reset (i.e. CandyBar or Onyx in the display prefs). Do you have any programs open or in the background that might cause this?

3. agentphish thread starter macrumors 65816

agentphish

Nope.
    Only thing i run in the background is LittleSnitch. Other than that I have nothing running on this powerbook that I haven't had running for the last 2-3 years that I've been using it every day.

Apple did just replace my hard disk and i had to reinstall everything but like I said i have nothing out of the ordinary going.

4. ultimateceej macrumors regular

ultimateceej

I haven't ever had this happen to me and I'm not sure that I can help you, but might have suggestions. Have you tried manually relaunching finder? This might resolve some issues. You could also delete the finder .plist file. You will probably lose your viewing preferences but it may be worth it.

5. maxp1 macrumors regular

Do you have any of the Stuffit products installed? Stuffit used to do this whenever you pulled down the contextual menu in the Finder.