Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nza

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2009
Hello mosthelpfulforumontheinternet,

I've ran into a recent problem and can't seem to find the issue. I've done a number of search on both this forum and on Google and can't even find a question relating to my issue.

I recently did a search in Spotlight for a file.. and I misspelled the name of the file I was searching for. After Spotlight told me that it couldn't find the file (obviously), this weird "?" icon popped up next to my navigation buttons in the Finder window.

Has anyone seen this before or know how to get rid of it? I can't seem to notice anything that's actually "wrong" with Finder, everything seems to be in order, but it is rather annoying. When I click on it, it simply pops a quick dialog up and says "The item can't be found." What item? I'm at a loss.

I'm running 10.6.2 on a 2.8Ghz MBP.

Thanks in advance!!

Mike

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-01-22 at 4.26.44 AM.png
    Screen shot 2010-01-22 at 4.26.44 AM.png
    12.3 KB · Views: 120
  • Screen shot 2010-01-22 at 4.26.59 AM.png
    Screen shot 2010-01-22 at 4.26.59 AM.png
    17.9 KB · Views: 71

andmr

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2008
NE Florida
The question mark represents an item which at one time was added to your Finder window's toolbar, either intentionally or unintentionally, but has since been trashed. To rid yourself of the question mark, hold down the ⌘ key and drag it off the toolbar with your mouse. Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.