finder shows photos files ; iPhoto is blank

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by markwise, Sep 28, 2009.

1. markwise macrumors member

Do not know if this is the correct forum nevertheless :

Finder indicates 4,5 GB stored photos in iPhoto library
    How come that the pictures do nor show in Iphoto
    (Only one icon photo per event)

What must I do to make iPhoto present my pictures

2. skybolt macrumors 6502a

The first question is -- have you been doing anything in the iPhoto library in the finder? If so, you have rendered the app unable to access your photos. Please tell us what was going on before your photos stopped showing up in iPhoto app? What were you doing? Have you been in the library in finder? What version of iPhoto? Have you upgraded it recently? Tell us more, and we will try to help.

3. markwise thread starter macrumors member

Dear Mary THX for your reply.
    I run iPhoto 08 ; Leopard
    What did I do:
    In order to be be able to install Paralles 4.0., I had to free some space on my MBA
    I found out that in case I could temporarilly export the photos to an external drive this would deliver the space needed.
    After Paralles was installed and running, I opened iPhoto and via archive selected import to library. This took a while.
    The photos are copied yo the library.
    iPhoto shows the events as black squares indicating the number of picture sthat shoudl be there
    Selecting events under library within iPhoto one can see the events
    but only per event onr sample picture next to it dotted squares where pictures should be

If I look into Finder ans select iPhoto library I now see that there are a lot of duplicate pictures. Nevetheless that should not cause the problem as all have to show up in iPhoto still won't they ?

possibly with this background info you can help me more ??

4. skybolt macrumors 6502a

O.K., the first thing is that you probably did not move your "iPhoto Library" to the external, you probably just moved some of the files. That is the first mistake. You can't just drag and drop photo files and have it work properly afterward. The whole iPhoto library should have been moved, but that is water under the bridge now.

The first thing I would do is to try a rebuild. See the instructions here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2638

Try that and report back. Maybe someone else will have some suggestions for you in the meantime.

5. markwise thread starter macrumors member

many THX for putting me at what seems to be the right track. Still have to travel the track to see whether it will bring me where I want to go but at first glance I believe this just might be it

At the moment rather busy , so it may take w a while for me to report any result.
    Promiss to let you know many thx again
    Peter