Finder Sidebar & Network Shares

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Kholdstate, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Kholdstate macrumors newbie

I've noticed that I can add folders from network shares (in this case samba) to my sidebar in finder but I can't seem to add the actual share folder.

So if my server has the share stuff and inside stuff there is a folder named documents I can drag that folder to places in my sidebar but I can't do the same with stuff. Does anyone know of any solution to this?

2. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

maybe make an alias to it and drag that the the bar?

3. Kholdstate thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't seem to get that to work as the alias option is not enabled when I'm browsing the server. I can alias folders within the shares but I can't alias the share itself.

I can work it out on my stationary mac with an auto mount solution and placing all the shares in the devices section of the sidebar but on a laptop where I don't want auto-mounting (as the laptop may not always be on that network) I would prefer to have items in the places section of the sidebar. The nice thing about putting a folder from inside a share there is that the share is mounted upon trying to access that folder (clicking on it in the sidebar) but I don't really know how this is done except for the dragging and dropping which doesn't really say anything about how the underlying mechanics work.

I mean I could obviously put one folder in every share and put all the stuff in that folder but that would annoy windows users who have the shares mapped as network drives.

:eek::apple: