Finder Sidebar off when mounting USB, HD, ISO...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by viktore, Mar 2, 2010.

1. viktore macrumors member

Hi,

When I mount an external hard drive, usb key, disk image or any other type of file, the finder window that opens doesn't have a sidebar. Of course I can use command+option+t to make it appear, but it's annoying having to do it every time I mount a file. Also, I would prefer to display mounted files in list view by default instead of icons.

Where can I change these default mounting viewing options?

I'm not sure if this is a Snow Leopard default option, but I notice this only since I upgraded to SL.

Thanks

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

"...or any other type of file" would be what, exactly?

In the upper right corner of Finder windows, there is a small oval. It's a toggle to turn the sidebar on or off. Each window should "remember" whether you had it on or off last time.

In Show View Options (View Menu) there is a Use as Default button. Set things the way you want them, then click that.

3. viktore thread starter macrumors member

Gregg2,

I mean any type of mountable files (MDG, DVDs, Hard Drives...)

Thanks for the other advices, but the finder simply won't remember any of the mountable windows settings. Toggling the sidebar on and off doesn't make a difference when I unmount then remount a drive. It always opens with no sidebar / icon view.

The Use as Default is checked, works fine in regular folder, but not on mounted drives.

Unless it has to be changed manually?

I think each external drive carries information so its settings are consistent from one computer to another. These settings are somewhere in a hidden file I believe... Any tips on modifying these?

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I don't get why you're calling those things "files"

Wiki says:
    Anyway, I know that's just picky. But, I think you're referring more to removable media, aren't you? Would a flash drive fall into the category you're experiencing difficulty with? If so, it should behave as I described. I have the sidebar turned off for my flash drive, and it will "come back" as Icon View or List View, or whatever it was set on last the next time I "plug it in" after ejecting it, of course.

Maybe a flash drive is different. If so, I'll learn something too. If similar, then your Mac has something amiss in how it is handling the finder windows. And perhaps that means that your com.apple.finder.plist file (I think!) is corrupt.

5. viktore thread starter macrumors member

File

If I refer to the word "file" it's because I have to deal with encrypted files at work, which behave exactly like a mounted flash drive. It also has to be ejected when done working with it.

I'll investigate the com.apple.finder.plist possibility.
    However, I have Snow Leopard both at home and at work, the issue is persistent at both locations, with all the different "removable media".
    USB key flash drive, external firewire hard drive, Mountable Encrypted files.

Thanks

6. viktore thread starter macrumors member

dmg

After further investigating into the problem, I realize that it only happens to dmg, iso and encrypted volume files.

Is it possible to mount volumes (dmg, iso, encrypted) with the sidebar ON and in list view rather than in icon view, by default?

Thanks

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

They will mount with the settings that are specified in their .DS_Store files (that's the purpose of those files). Convention is for disks and disk images to mount without a sidebar, and often with a specific background and icon arrangement (all of that information is stored in the .DS_Store file). Since they are generally read-only filesystems, no, you can't change that setting.

jW