Finder: sort by kind is a bit broad.. solutions?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cutcopypaste, Aug 28, 2010.

1. cutcopypaste macrumors regular

I just noticed sorting a bunch of files by 'kind' that it groups .php, .css, .js and others all as 'plain text file'

this is pretty useless, and I don't know if there's perhaps a way to set things up differently? I have all said files associated with Coda.. I don't know if that's the problem.

any ideas?

2. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

I don't think that's how it should be.

On my system, although I have Coda installed, I've not changed the file associations - so php and .js are set to Dreamweaver, and .html to Safari.

If I list the files in a Finder folder, they are correctly listed as JavaScript document, etc. and not Plain Text.

3. cutcopypaste thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm.. that's quite odd, then.

When I get file info on one of them, it shows the little preview picture with a 'css' or 'php' on it.. so somewhere it knows.. but it still says plaintext. It seems to depend on what application I have it associated with... Textmate calls it "cascading style sheet", safari calls it "CSS style sheet", firefox calls it "text document", CSSEdit "style sheet"... so it would appear somehow to be Coda's doing.. except for that you report it's fine for you under Coda...