Finder stalling / Losing menubar

Discussion in 'iMac' started by highlightshadow, Feb 22, 2013.

1. highlightshadow macrumors regular

Hi all,

Occasionally (maybe every 3 to 7 days) i'll launch finder, click on a directory and it'll just sit there (little spinner in bottom right spinning).

Most other functions seem ok at the time .... but once i hit that issue, menubar will sometimes disappear and i'll have to launch terminal and issue a shutdown from commandline

Done the usual permissions things etc .... Anyone have any suggestions for tracking this down ... can't find a pattern

This is on a new 27" iMac ... Phoned apple support and they didn't do much ... they eventually suggested reinstalling OSX but i don't want to do that just yet (lot of hassle for a new machine)

2. Dufus Del Dia macrumors newbie

This happens to me from time to time, and it's always related to a stalled WiFi network access to another machine. For instance, if I copy some files from my Laptop to my Desktop, then don't unmount the laptop before closing the cover on it, the Desktop machine will stall because the Laptop has an open network connection to it, but went to sleep.

Usually, I have to reboot both machines to stabilize things after that happens...

Is this a standalone box, or do you have other machines, like a Time Capsule, Airport Express, or other Macs on your WiFi? If yes, then look at THEM the next time your finder stalls...

-Dufus Del Dia

3. highlightshadow thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting .... I backup to a timemachine location (NAS) over the network (wifi) and i have apple TV on the network for home sharing

Sounds like the more likely candidate would be TimeMachine.

Might have to put my switch back in and hard-wire to the NAS just for this and let Wifi just be for internet access and see how it goes.

Only started on the new mac but this one i run over wifi whereas before it was hardwired but a change in network layout forced the change.

No reason i can't just put the NAS and iMac plugged into a standard little switch and put them in the same IP range as a workaround .... would make the backups quick again too