Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fjs08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2003
Every day now for the past week, at least once, I have to relaunch Finder.
I have OSX 10.4.4.

any thoughts or possible solutions?

Frank

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
fjs08 said:
Every day now for the past week, at least once, I have to relaunch Finder.
I have OSX 10.4.4.

any thoughts or possible solutions?

Frank

Well, this is probably the first response you are going to get for this type of problem, but you would want to try repairing permissions under Disk Utility application.

For a stronger, better repairing of permissions, I would boot up your Mac using your OS X install DVD and use the Disk Utility in there. It can be found from one of the drop-down menus on the File bar. This will undoubtedly take care of more corruptions on your Mac than Disk Utility while running OS X.

fjs08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2003
>>but you would want to try repairing permissions under Disk Utility application.<<

I do that on the 1st of every month, but I'll try it again to see what happens.
Seems to have started when I installed iLife '06.

Frank

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
spencecb said:
For a stronger, better repairing of permissions, I would boot up your Mac using your OS X install DVD and use the Disk Utility in there. It can be found from one of the drop-down menus on the File bar. This will undoubtedly take care of more corruptions on your Mac than Disk Utility while running OS X.

Repairing permissions from the OSX disks isn't really stronger (unless you mean repair the disk). The permissions on the disks are out-of-date so really it's probably a better idea to simply repair the permissions from the internal drive's Disk Utility only. :)

As for the original problem, maybe look for a file named com.apple.finder.plist and drag it to the Desktop before restarting. :)

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
mad jew said:
Repairing permissions from the OSX disks isn't really stronger (unless you mean repair the disk). The permissions on the disks are out-of-date so really it's probably a better idea to simply repair the permissions from the internal drive's Disk Utility only. :)

Not according to Apple techs :)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Are you sure you mean repairing the permissions and not the disk? The packages and receipts on the OSX disks are out of date unless the computer is brand new. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.