Finder suddenly running very slow Trojan Horse?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Bandit27, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Bandit27 macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Suddenly my finder is running very slow. Scrolling takes 5-9 seconds to respond. I have checked Activity Monitor but can't tell what should be there an if there is anything that shouldn't be there. My teenage son had some guys over the other day, and they were using my computer to do homework, and I wonder if they downloaded something inappropriate that installed a trojan horse? how could I tell. This is the first time I have used the computer since then. It has been restarted once. Running MBP early 2010 with Mavericks. I could provide an Activity Monitor screenshot if that would help.

Thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

When something unexpected or unexplained happens on a Mac, malware is usually the last possibility to consider, not the first.

Follow every step of the following instructions precisely. Do not skip any steps.
    1. Launch Activity Monitor
    2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
    3. Click on the "% CPU" column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top). (If that column isn't visible, right-click on the column headings and check it, NOT "CPU Time")
    4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
    5. Take a screen shot of the entire Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
    6. Post your screenshots.

3. Bandit27 thread starter macrumors newbie

screenshots posted

Thanks for the reply. Lots of stuff going on and they of course were bumping around a bit. Hope i got them all. Here are the screenshots.

Thanks,

Tyler

Attached Files:

4. Bandit27 thread starter macrumors newbie

By the way, the computer does seem to be responding normally after sitting overnight, no restart.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't see anything there that should be cause for concern.

6. Bandit27 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Hey, Thanks for taking the time to look that over. I really appreciate it.

cheers,

Tyler

7. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

What's your disk space like? Could the disk be filling up?

Maybe the kids downloaded a bunch of stuff and then deleted it, but didn't empty the trash. It'll still be there, taking up space. Macs don't do well when their disks get stuffed up, so...

For future situations of this sort, I'd suggest setting up a non-privileged user account for guests to use, and making the kids use that. That way they can't install any crap by accident, and it'll keep them away from your files.

8. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Finder can get bogged down at times. You may or may not find out what the underlining cause is. If it happens over time, a restart usually clears it up--or a simpler solution is to just kill the finder in activity monitor--it will restart and (hopefully) be as good as new. :)