finder tabs; cool, but..

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by fisherking, Oct 23, 2013.

1. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

thought i would start working with finder tabs (instead of using separate folders to move things around.

like the idea, but...the only thing i find seriously wrong:

if i drag a file to another tab and HOLD it there, the tab should open (in case i want to move that file to a subfolder in that tab).

like it works between open windows...

just a thought. good to see new finder features tho...

EDIT: NEVERMIND, after i rebooted, this worked as it should!

2. fisherking thread starter macrumors 603

fisherking

actually...would love to see finder BOOKMARKS down the line; i.e. ways to have, for example, a SET of windows to open (like in safari), and shortcuts to various folders..

safari for finder...

3. xodiak Guest

How do you get tabs to even work? I see the option open in tabs, I have the option in Finder selected to open in tabs and not a new window but every time I double click on a folder it opens in that window and no tab. I can't only get a tab to show by right clicking and selecting open in tab.

4. fisherking thread starter macrumors 603

fisherking

open a window (make it big...).
    command-T, or the "+" sign on the right.
    point that tab somewhere...

easy to move files between tabs, and (as i learned after a reboot), hold on the tab you're moving to, and it opens, and you can continue to direct a file to a specific folder.

nice..

5. Bear macrumors G3

The finder sidebar does kind of act like bookmarks since you can add folders to Favorites.

What I don't like about the tab system is when you right click on a folder, it only gives you the new tab or new window option depending on your preference settings. The menu should give both choices, but command-double-click on a folder should follow the preferences.