Finder Tabs

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by gowanis, Oct 26, 2013.

1. gowanis macrumors 6502

I have yet to upgrade, as my work remote access is not yet compatible. I am, however, looking forward to tabs in Finder. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you cannot look at multiple tabs at once? I would like to have four separate panes, where I can see the destination I'm moving or copying files to. I know I can just tile 4 separate instances, but wouldn't it be easier to have it in one window with the ability to resize the vertical dividers?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I use TotalFinder for what you describe and it works great, even in Mavericks.

3. gowanis thread starter macrumors 6502

Is that using what they call "dual mode" ? Can you have 4 or more separate locations (panes), or just two ?

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

You can have many tabs open, but only two side-by-side visible at any one time. It may not be 4 like you want, but it's better than none in Mavericks.

5. gowanis thread starter macrumors 6502

I have a similar app called Forklift, which basically does the same thing. A real shame that you cannot have more than 2 panes open at once.

One more question. Does TotalFinder "replace" the default Finder app? Or is it like an add-on on top of it? Worries me a little that its not a separate app.

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

It runs on top of Finder and can be unloaded and loaded again if need be and has it's own preference pane in Finder Preferences.

7. gowanis thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I think I will give it a try. I suppose two Finder windows in dual mode might work out for me.