Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fraser1980

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2008
At the weekend, I upgraded my 2012 13/8/128 MBA to Mountain Lion. Ever since, I've noticed that finder is taking up quite a lot of memory. I use my machine quite intensively so am often keeping an eye on activity monitor and have never previously noticed finder using anything substantial. Yesterday, it was constantly using ~300MB. I restarted my machine last night and had a look and it was down to ~16MB (IIRC). I have started up this morning and already it is sitting at a constant 208.2MB (while typing this, it has gone up to 242.6).

I have the following apps running as I type this. reminders, messages, chrome, quicksilver, coda, activity monitor, firefox and mamp pro with Hiss, Google Drive, Dropbox, Notify and caffeine running in the task bar. I have nothing on my desktop and no finder windows open currently.

Does anyone know why this could be happening and if there is a way to cure it?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-07-31 at 9.43AM 1.png
    Screen Shot 2012-07-31 at 9.43AM 1.png
    154 KB · Views: 289

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You don't have any page outs and you have plenty of memory available. I wouldn't worry about it.

fraser1980

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2008
I realise it's not an immediate issue, but as the day goes on and I start opening VM's, large files in Photoshop and more Firefox tabs my RAM usage starts to go right up. Just wondering if it's a sign of an issue with my system.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I realise it's not an immediate issue, but as the day goes on and I start opening VM's, large files in Photoshop and more Firefox tabs my RAM usage starts to go right up. Just wondering if it's a sign of an issue with my system.
It's not a sign of any problem. It will use varying amounts of memory from time to time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.