Finder view options question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tyler23, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Quick question regarding Finder,

Is there a way to have the background color of each Finder section (Documents, Applications, files within each, etc..) remain a consistent color? I've tried messing around with the "use as defaults" button, but to no avail..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

In this case, perhaps the question was too quick. For instance, do you mean "folders within each" and not "files"? I used to have an OS add-on (in OS 9) that allowed me to change the background for any Finder window. Enclosed folders defaulted to the enclosing folder's background, unless expressly changed. There must be a way in OSX.

P.S. Why does "OSX" show as "misspelled" on this site?!

3. Tyler23 thread starter macrumors 603

Tyler23

Sorry, yep that's what I meant. Basically, whenever you click and category/folder in Finder, I would like all of the backgrounds to be the exact same color.

There must be a way..somehow..

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

You should be able to go to a folder that's at the highest level among those you want to be the same color, change the color of it and then click the Use as Defaults button, resulting in all folders at that level or lower having the same characteristics. Certainly all the enclosing folders of the one you do that to should change, unless you have previously set any of them to something else manually. But you might have to go "horizontal" on others. That is, folders at the same level as the one you just did might not change to the default.

5. Tyler23 thread starter macrumors 603

Tyler23

You would think that would work, but..it doesn't..

I honestly have no idea what the "Use as Defaults" button is doing, because it doesn't seem to have any effect on the appearance at all.

This is kind of frustrating, I feel like it should work but it just isn't.

Anyone have some more insight into this?

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

You can always try to find a corrupt plist file.
    Two candidates:
    com.apple.finder.plist
    com.apple.systemuiserver.plist

My hunch, and that's all it is, would be the first one. Those are both found in
    HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences

Drag (one only if you want to know if it was corrupt) the plist to your Desktop.
    Restart the computer. This will create a new default plist file in Preferences.
    I hope that makes a positive difference for you.

7. Tyler23 thread starter macrumors 603

Tyler23

Do I drag both com.apple.finder.plist & com.apple.systemuiserver.plist to the Desktop?

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Then the other one if the first one didn't change things for the better. That's after the restart and test.