Finder: Why doesn't paging move focus of selected item in list?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Richard1028, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Maybe I'm missing something...

Say I'm viewing the contents of a folder containing a 1,000 files in list mode. I can "page" through the list and all the items scroll but the selected item doesn't change. I have to "mouse" to the item I want when it comes into view.

Is this by design?

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Why would "paging" (I assume you're referring to page up/down) affect the selection? That would be highly illogical. You can use the arrow keys to move the selection, but page up/down should only move the view, as the name implies.

jW

3. Richard1028 thread starter macrumors 68000

To save me the trouble of moving my hand from the keyboard, over to the mouse then back to the keyboard again?

I also find paging down through a text document without the cursor following me to be a pain. All of Apple's apps do this I guess whereas OpenOffice and MS Office don't. (Not sure about the iWork apps though)

Not really. I along with most of the mac world came from Windows so it's hard to convince us that saving needless "hand movement" is better.

I just thought there was a keyboard equivalent to do this in OSX.

4. Pomeroy macrumors 6502

Pomeroy

You are right, most of us did come from a Windows world, but most learn to use a Mac as a Mac and not try to make it act like a PC.

In the folder containing a 1,000 files in list mode tap the first letter of the file name you want, then use the arrow keys to go right to the file. No mouse needed.